Global Warming is a gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth’s atmosphere generally attributed to the greenhouse effect caused by increased levels of carbon dioxide, CFCs, and other pollutants.
Shocking facts about climate change due to global warming.
- According to IPCC 2007 report, sea levels will rise by 7-23 inches by the end of this century due to global warming.
- The Arctic ice is melting rapidly. By 2040 the region is expected to have a completely ice free summer, or even earlier.
- Due to global warming and pollution, coral reefs are suffering the worst bleaching with the highest dying record since 1980.
- More than 1 million species have become extinct due to disappearing habitats, ecosystems acidic oceans all caused due to global warming.
- Since the industrial revolution in 1700, the level of carbon dioxide on earth has increased by 34%.
(Facts are taken from http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/various-global-warming-facts.php)
Here are just a few ways that we can do to try and stop global warming.
- Take Lunch in a Tupperware: Each time you throw away that brown paper sack, more brown paper sacks are being produced in a factory as we speak.
- Use Clothesline to Dry Your Clothes: Think of your grandmother when you do this. Most clothes shouldn’t be put in the dryer anyway.
- Ride Your Bike: Not only is bike riding, healthy it reduces the amount of CO2 released into the air. Walking is another easy way to reduce global warming.
- Plant a Tree: Planting trees can help much in reducing global warming than any other method. They not only give oxygen but also take in carbon dioxide, during the process of photosynthesis, which is the main source of global warming.
- Conserve Water: This is a tired tip, but ever so important. If we added up the water wasted by the millions of Americans brushing their teeth, we could provide water to more than 23 nations with unclean, drinking water. Remember, it takes energy to draw and filter water from underground.Taking a quick 5-minute shower will greatly conserve energy. The type of shower head used, will also aid in combating global warming. Take showers instead of baths. Showers use less water than baths by 25%. Over the course of a year that’s hundreds of gallons saved.
(Facts are taken from http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/StopGlobalWarming.php )
From just having looked at just a few ways that everyone can help to stop global warming being such as big risk to your environment, I have got a few ideas for poster designs that I could create and put up around the city of Plymouth.