- Ask tutor about Adobe Illustrator layers messing up. DONE
- Finish watercolour experiments.
- Create new simple logo mood board.
- Try using wax with Brusho.
- Finish narrowing ideas blog post.
- Read through all blog posts and ask for help if I think it needs more work.
- Experiment with lino. DONE
- Bring in or get measurements of labels that Cornish Country Cordials use so I can cut paper to size and experiment with watercolour on them. DONE
I am wanting to have completed these list of things to do by next Wednesdays (10th May).
Things to gradually do.
- Create making stage time plan. This is a separate time plan to my action plan is it just for the making process and will help to manage my time so I don’t fall behind.
Currently, my head is full of ideas for this project but now we are almost half way through the project, so it’s time to decide on a final path which I can then develop from.
Put Mood Boards and Mind Maps here.
Monday 15th May
At the beginning of the project, when I first met with Sally the owner of Cornish Country Cordials, we sat down and came up with a list of elements of the new branding packaging I could create for this project. At the time, people in my class mentioned that I was taking on a lot in the project and questioned if I had enough time to complete the whole list of branding packaging elements – I thought I did! Now that we have only 4 weeks left, I can see that I definitely don’t have time to complete all the
Now that we have only 4 weeks left, I can see that I definitely don’t have time to complete all the elements I set out to create, so I am going to have to decide on the most important ones which Sally agrees is best, as we want an excellent quality project to display at the final end of year show.
I am currently finalising the logo design stage and have lots of logos, some which I really like and feel fit the target market well. With only 4 weeks left, my main priority is to ensure I have the new logo, packaging, uniforms, leaflet and possibly the website designs completed. At the start of the project, the new trade-stand designs and short “food-porn” film were somewhat extras anyway that we could create if we had time.
So here is a list of things I need to do in the next 4 weeks on the making side
- Finish the logo designs and choose the final design.
- Finish packaging for the five main cordials.
- Create new website mockups. Could design the real thing if I get around to taking the photographs of the cordials with new labels.
- Screen printing the new logo onto chosen apron or t-shirt.
By the end of the easter break, I want to have all the research for this project completed and to be ready for the final creating stage. I also might want to go to my local farmers market and have a look at the branding of other local business for primary research. Over the easter holiday, I will have completed or started the initial thumbnails sketches.
Here are five S.M.A.R.T targets for the easter holidays.
- Taste all cordials write down adjectives that describe them. DONE
- Update time plan.
- Try and make my project idea less broad using new mind maps of ideas and mood boards. DONE
- Look at more packaging designs or designs in general. DONE
- Start researching and try possible techniques I could use to create my designs. Screen printing, Lino Printing, food photography and art filming. DONE
The subject and context behind your project.
For this final project, I will create a West Country food or drinks brand and design its full identity package. This could include a logo, business cards, product packaging, banners and uniform designs. The companies aim will be to create fresh, amazingly good tasting food that will be sold at farmers markets, agricultural shows and festivals.
Who is your intended audience?
If I choose to create a drinks company, the alcoholic beverages with be aimed at adults who like locally sourced food and drink and go to farmers markets looking for new fresh new things. In general, I intended to aim at families who love the experience of going to a farmers market by seeing the fresh seasonal colours, taking in the smells from the mouth watering goods and sampling what’s to offer.
The quality of research you gather (about everything from subject to skills).
Here is a list of things I intend to research.
- The “history” behind my made up client.
- How to display an identity package.
- What an identity package should include.
- How to correctly design product packaging.
- Other graphic designers that create brand identities.
- How to take food/drink photography i.e. Lighting setups, texture backgrounds.
- How the design effects customers minds? The science of advertising.
- Size, measurements for packaging.
- Do market research. Google Forum. Questions could include: What do you buy at a farmers/food markets? What part of farmers/food markets do you like? How much would you spend at a farmers/food markets?
In a peer crit session, I was told to look at logos/brand identities for food/drink companies from other countries. I was also told to look at big brands design identities.
How you plan, manage, produce an ambitious project?
For this project, I will need a fairly clear time plan which will help me understand what I am doing and when it needs to be done by. As my project is going to be big, I will have 3-4 weeks to research and create initial sketches/thumbnails and will leave about 6-8 weeks for experimenting, developing and curating. There will be certain elements which I will have to of completed before I can do others i.e. choosing colours schemes before I can start designing.
How you plan to develop processes, skills and knowledge?
Here is a first mindmap showing some of my initial ideas. For my final project, we have 19 weeks so I want a project that has a lot of work that needs to be produced and can experiment a lot with mediums that I am not comfortable with.
My two favourite initial ideas are a company identity package for a West Country food or drinks company and a short narrative film with a logo and poster design. I really like both of these ideas but as I am going to university to study film I think it would be nice to do one big design based project before I go and do a film course for three years.